About us

We are a hard working, family of eight. Swimming in the sea when we aren't busy on our small holding. Daddy dragon has to work away a lot, so this blog is to let him keep up with our adventures at home.

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Second breakfast

This morning hatchling no1 told me, 'I know all about everything cooking. I can make breakfast all by myself.'

I thought sure, alright, go for it. She wanted to make porridge. I make porridge for them most mornings. I figured, she'd watched me enough, this would be just a big old confidence boost.

I was wrong.

She was full of seven year old pride, and I let her do it her way.

There were tears, and I can't do it.

It all went terribly wrong.

Perhaps I should not have stood by and watched, as she added cadbury creme eggs and about 2 cups of white sugar. For her best ever recipe.

After cleaning up the mess, I had her start her very own cook book. Each week we are going to practice a recipe she likes together and she can write it in her cook book. Hopefully, she'll leave home able to feed herself well. They have now received a thorough lesson on organic chemistry: how sugar molecules behave under heat... and bind to stainless steel pots.... sigh

Peach Porridge
 (to feed 2) - in our house this is tripled or quadrupled.

1 1/2 cups Oats
3 cups whole milk
small pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped peaches

Add to a pan and stir while it simmers.

When it is nice and thick, add 1/4 cup brown sugar, white sugar, or honey to taste. We used honey. Then stir in cream until porridge is a nice texture (about 4 tbs).


Despite making a triple batch of this, the hatchlings were still cheeping, 'Hungeeeeeee!'

Which led to second breakfast: french toast with strawberries and whipped cream.

Hatchling no2 insisted it was her turn. She wrote out her recipe, before helping make french toast.


Which was very appreciated by hungry hatchling no4.

2 comments:

  1. I will be trying this recipe. My mom raised me and my 2 younger siblings in America while my dad was in Taiwan (pre-internet) and I would've loved to have seen something like this from that time. Very cool, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy. You must have done a lot of traveling as a child! All the best.

    ReplyDelete