About us

We are a hard working, family of eight. Swimming in the sea when we aren't busy on our small holding. Daddy dragon has to work away a lot, so this blog is to let him keep up with our adventures at home.

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Advent day 12: Gingerbread house


I am so pleased with this year's gingerbread house, as we baked it ourselves. I have always been nervous about this and certain it would all fall spectacularly to pieces, but ta - da, It worked! 

The secret seems to be in the icing. I had no idea what to use, and researching it lead me to find the advice is to use 2 egg whites, and 500g of icing sugar. We tried this, and not only does it work, but it is so quick drying and tough that I think it may actually be quite difficult to eat.

The gingerbread recipe was really quite simple too.

We put 250g of butter in a pan on low heat and spooned in 8 tbs of golden syrup.

Then we added 1 cup of dark brown sugar.

We add 1 tsp cinnamon and 3 tsp ground ginger.

Then we sifted in 4 1/2 cups of plain flour and 2 tsp of bicarb of soda. 

We then baked it at 180/350 for about 25 minutes.

and then let it cool.

I'm really pleased about this cost wise. I normally buy a kit for £12 -15 and this came to £4.38. Not bad and it really was easy to do.


2 comments:

  1. What a masterpiece, bet there was lots of fun decorating that (and eating any left over sweeties :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thank you, they sure ate a lot of sweets, kind of made me queasy watching, but you are only young once. :)

    ReplyDelete